Thursday 26 July 2012

Chapter 2 - The 'Doc' report - Olympic Village: High quality H2O

Source: www.listal.com
High quality H20
I have been in the olympic village for a few days now and I am now finding my way around. It is becoming busier with more athletes arriving by the hour. We had the GB Official welcome ceremony which I think was broadcast live. I was stood next to Andy Murray 3 weeks after watching him on Centre Court at Wimbledon! Tom Daley is in my block so see him around a lot. Met up with Andrew Sullivan, the GB Basketball captain who I know from his Newcastle Eagles days.

Hockey guys and gals are a good bunch, they have each had a practice match versus New Zealand and the Women have a game tomorrow vs. Germany, again a practice. My main job is filling their water bottles - it’s not all glamorous!

It has been so hot - 31 degrees for the girl’s game. Lots of water-bottle filling! Attached is a picture of the village - very smart and well kept. All the athletes love it. There are street stalls all around with various foods and drinks - all free! It would be very easy to put on many pounds!! Pictures included are of the central area of the village and the hockey stadium - my home for 2 weeks.

I managed to sweet talk my way into the last 30 minutes of the full dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremony last night - 80,000 people were there - they invited volunteers who weren’t chosen to work. It was amazing, I have pictures but everyone has promised not to send out.

The first hockey mnatch is on Sunday, GB Women vs Japan at 7pm - watch it on the red button!

Dr Graeme Wilkes
MB BS MRCP MRCGP MSc FFSEM
Clinical Lead
Consultant in Sports & Exercise Medicine
Connect Physical Health

No comments:

Post a Comment